RECENT COMMENTS

Friday, November 12, 2004

toilet map

Bifurcated rivets alerted me to the Australian National Public Toilet Map

This led to the wonderful Trip Planner
You can plan a route from nearly any starting point to any destination in Australia. The system will identify the quickest route (by road or on foot) and create a list of nearby toilets

If, like me, you like your melways or street directory, this is a great find. I have been madly planning imaginary journeys on foot, or retracing old paths past toilets I never noticed. I went north south east west from various old locations and watched the quickest route mysteriously appear. While I am still content to passively gaze at the melways, this has added a new dimension to map-reading. Virtual walking.



Comments: toilet map


What a terrific site - mind you I stopped short of signing up for the monthly newsletter. I did have a practical use for this a couple of months ago when planning a trip across the outback, and it seemed to be pretty accurate. It all just proves that life really is a journey between toilet stops...
Posted by Phlip at November 12, 2004 03:55 PM

when you're travelling the (in)continent ;)

I've retraced some of my old paths and have found a couple of inaccuracies re toilets and suburbs, but am pretty impressed with it. I love the suggested route and estimated time of walking.
I tried to walk from country Victoria to here along the toilet map route, but the distance was too great for walking, apparently. Too long between breaks there indeed. Walking in the country town itself is ok though, which is fun.

btw Philip - the Melways has featured lately at Trivia. Still getting over the shock of not knowing that the new edition is 32 - I stare at edition 30 just about every night!
Posted by boynton at November 12, 2004 04:13 PM

According to the Toilet Map, my daily journey which takes 8 or 20 minutes by car (off peak or peak) will take 2 hours 16 minutes if I walk it. That's one hell of toilet stop!!
Posted by Nora at November 13, 2004 12:13 PM

Good to know your car is continent.
Guess it's a continental car.

(last use of the continent pun)
Posted by boynton at November 13, 2004 12:47 PM

Speaking of which:
http://www.crookedtimber.org/archives/002847.html#comments
Posted by vernaculo at November 13, 2004 01:53 PM

there are two toilets here - one inside, one outside.(I could plan the quickest route and draw a map and estimated time in seconds) Alas, the outside loo does not afford much of a view, unlike some country dunnnies I have visited.

Agree about the composting thing too -
have seen them here:

http://www.ceres.org.au/about/water/WaterTrail/watertrail/files/compost1.html
Posted by boynton at November 14, 2004 04:02 PM


No comments: